Apple Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
Here in Vermont, we enjoy a bounty of rhubarb, apples and maple syrup. These ingredients inspired me to create this dessert. —Liz Bachilas, Shelburne, Vermont
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, combine the rhubarb, apples, egg, sugar, syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Rhubarb Crumble in Country Extra March 2000, p51
Reviews for Apple Rhubarb Crumble(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 25, 2012
My husband loves rubarb & this reminds me of my mom's delicious apple crisp recipe- a win-win! The only think I would change is to use all cinnamon and leave the nutmeg out. We like that flavor better.