Apple Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a bowl, combine the rhubarb, apples, egg, sugar, syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 457 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Apple Rhubarb Crumble
"This is fabulous! Let me say that I made a few small changes. Basically, I cut all the sweetener in half. Since we don't eat sugar, I used equal amounts stevia & xylitol to make a half cup worth of sweetener for the fruit, and I used Gala apples (not tart). For the sweetener in the crumble I used equal amounts honey & stevia to make 1/4 cup and I used equal amounts oat flour & old fashioned oats to equal 1 cup. Also used equal amounts coconut oil & butter to make the 1/2 cup in he crumble. I've experimented with many recipes to make them sugar free & this is a winner!"
"Wonderful! But then you cannot go wrong with sugar, fruit and flour and butter combined. I added some Asian pears into mine and doubled the apples because I had only maybe 1 1/2 cup of rhubarb."
"My husband loves rubarb & this reminds me of my mom's delicious apple crisp recipe- a win-win! The only think I would change is to use all cinnamon and leave the nutmeg out. We like that flavor better."