Apple-Raisin Rice Dessert
Marjorie Grunewald of Weimar, Texas submitted this recipe that combines apples, cinnamon, raisins and leftover rice in a warm and comforting dessert.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add sugar. Cook and stir
- until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the apples, lemon juice and
- spices. Reduce heat; simmer for 3-5 minutes or until apples are
- tender. Stir in rice, raisins, butter and vanilla.
- Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until liquid is
- absorbed. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish each
- serving with whipped topping. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup with 1 tablespoon whipped topping) equals 218 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium,