Apple-Raisin Egg Rolls Recipe
Tender apples are rolled inside crisp egg roll wrappers for a deliciously different dessert. As fancy as these treats look, they're really quite simple to make.—Karen Orvis, Plainville, Connecticut
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:16 servings
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the apples, raisins and cinnamon in butter until tender. Combine the cornstarch, juice and honey until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 2. Place 1/4 cupful of apple mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining apple mixture and wrappers. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry turnovers, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 16 servings.
1 egg roll (calculated without ice cream) equals 228 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC