This is a super pie that my whole family likes, made from ingredients we usually have on hand—we keep one cow for our family milk supply, and she provides plenty of cream! We run 850 head of crossbred cattle on our ranch, and my husband, our two kids and I spend a lot of time on horseback working up hearty appetites! I enjoy baking and cooking special events. As president of our local CowBelle chapter, I do a lot of cooking with beef.
Recommended: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
- Pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 7 to 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Dash salt, optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Make favorite pastry; line bottom of pie tin with one crust and set aside. Combine apple slices, sugar, flour, spices, raisins, salt and lemon peel; mix together well. Spoon filling into pastry-lined pan; dot with butter. Cover with top crust decorated with steam vents; seal edges. Cut a 1-in. circle from dough in center of top crust.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes. Remove pie from oven; slowly pour cream into center hole of top crust. Return to oven; bake 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.(Refrigerate leftovers.) Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Raisin Cream Pie in Country Woman March/April 1987, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Raisin Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review