Apple Raisin Bread Recipe
I've been making this bread for many years. It smells so good in the oven and tastes even better. I make bread almost every Saturday, and it doesn't stay around long with our sons home from college in the summer.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/2 cup water and sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, honey, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Stir in yeast mixture. Gradually add enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch down and turn over in bowl. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the apples, raisins and lemon juice. Divide dough into three parts; knead a third of the apple mixture into each part. Shape each into a round flat ball. Place each in a greased 8-in. round baking pan that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Brush each loaf with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Yield: 3 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 135 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC