Apple Quince Pie Recipe
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled quinces (about 2 medium)
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the quinces and apple juice. Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until quinces are crisp-tender.
- 2. Uncover; simmer 8-12 minutes longer or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Discard spice bag. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 3. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Gently stir in quince mixture. Spoon into crust.
- 4. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 287 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Apple Quince Pie
"This pie ROCKS!!! I whipped out 2 and got raves from my big family! I used to toss out my quinces, not anymore! Came in handy for our unexpected Balloon Fiesta guests! They loved it!"
"I'm not a great cook but this turned out great. I only needed 3 granny smith apples instead of the 5"
"Wonderful recipe - I have made it 3 times. I tripled the topping and skipped the piecrust making it a crisp."
"I loves Quinces!I wished I could get some here in the US."