Apple Pull-Apart Bread Recipe
For a fun sweet treat that's certain to satisfy, try this recipe. Drizzled with icing, each finger-licking piece has a yummy surprise filling of apples and pecans. It's well worth the bit of extra effort. -Carolyn Gregory, Hendersonville, Tennessee
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4-1/2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add 2 tablespoons butter, egg, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Combine the apple, pecans, cinnamon and remaining sugar; set aside. Punch dough down; divide in half. Cut each half into 16 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll out each piece into a 2-1/2-in. circle. Place 1 teaspoon apple mixture in center of circle; pinch edges together and seal, forming a ball. Dip in remaining butter.
- 3. In a greased 10-in. tube pan, place 16 balls, seam side down; sprinkle with 1/4 cup apple mixture. Layer remaining balls; sprinkle with remaining apple mixture. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm bread. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 248 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC