Apple Puffs Recipe
"The recipe for these golden sugar-topped puffs comes from my mother," writes Pat Klingler from her home in Ashtabula, Ohio. "They are a great way to warm up a cool day. I like to fry them up when I have friends come for coffee."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat the egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in confectioners' sugar while warm. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC