"The recipe for these golden sugar-topped puffs comes from my mother," writes Pat Klingler from her home in Ashtabula, Ohio. "They are a great way to warm up a cool day. I like to fry them up when I have friends come for coffee."
48 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and
- cinnamon. In another bowl, beat the egg and milk; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in
- confectioners' sugar while warm. Serve warm.
- Yield: about 4 dozen.