Apple Praline Pie Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon ginger ale
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle with vinegar. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- 3. In a large bowl, toss apples with the ginger ale, lemon juice and vanilla. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Spoon into crust; dot with butter.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 55-65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved. Stir in pecans; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in cream and vanilla. Immediately pour over pie. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until topping is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 636 calories, 40g fat (21g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Apple Praline Pie
"Deeeeelish! This pie is soooo good!!!! I get complements every single time I make this. I'm getting ready to make another one. It's THAT good!"
"Why does the recipe tell you to put a crust on the top of the pie but the picture is open????"
"I would make another half of the praline topping. Otherwise, a definite favorite in my family!"
"will all the pie recipes be in Taste Of Home 2010 recipe book?thank youBetty"