Apple Praline Pie Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon ginger ale
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle with vinegar. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- 3. In a large bowl, toss apples with the ginger ale, lemon juice and vanilla. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Spoon into crust; dot with butter.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 55-65 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- 6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and sugar is dissolved. Stir in pecans; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in cream and vanilla. Immediately pour over pie. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until topping is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 636 calories, 40 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Apple Praline Pie
"Deeeeelish! This pie is soooo good!!!! I get complements every single time I make this. I'm getting ready to make another one. It's THAT good!"
"This is THE BEST apple pie I have ever had...it's also my husband's favortie! If you love Apple Pie and Pralines...oh boy, is this for YOU!"
"This pie is delicious! It's a bit time consuming if you make your own crust, but it's well worth it! I've made this pie several times and my husband always raves about it...it's his favorite pie!"
"It directs you to bake the pie with a crust on top and then put the topping on the crust and bake a few minutes longer. That way the praline topping is on top of the crust."
"Why does the recipe tell you to put a crust on the top of the pie but the picture is open????"
"This pie is DELICIOUS!!! I've made it twice in three weeks! It instantly became my husbands favorite pie! I recently made a blueberry pie, and used the praline topping on that too...it was also very good! I would think the praline topping would be wonderful on almost any fruit pie! :)"
"I would make another half of the praline topping. Otherwise, a definite favorite in my family!"
"will all the pie recipes be in Taste Of Home 2010 recipe book?thank youBetty"