Apple Pork Pie Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; mix well. Add cheese; toss to coat. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water only until moistened. Form into a ball. Roll two-thirds of the ball into a 11-in. circle; place in a 9-in. pie pan, lining the bottom and sides. Roll remaining pastry into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Chill pastry shell and wedges while preparing filling.
- 2. Brown pork in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add water, onion, sage and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Combine flour and milk to form a smooth paste; gradually add to pork mixture. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Spoon half into prepared shell. Top with apples and sprinkle with sugar. Spoon remaining pork mixture over apples. Arrange pastry wedges on top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until pastry is lightly browned and crisp. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 440 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Apple Pork Pie
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer