Apple Pork Pie Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; mix well. Add cheese; toss to coat. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water only until moistened. Form into a ball. Roll two-thirds of the ball into a 11-in. circle; place in a 9-in. pie pan, lining the bottom and sides. Roll remaining pastry into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Chill pastry shell and wedges while preparing filling.
- 2. Brown pork in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add water, onion, sage and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Combine flour and milk to form a smooth paste; gradually add to pork mixture. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Spoon half into prepared shell. Top with apples and sprinkle with sugar. Spoon remaining pork mixture over apples. Arrange pastry wedges on top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until pastry is lightly browned and crisp. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 440 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein
Reviews for Apple Pork Pie
"This pie crust is AMAZING! I am considering baking the crust by itself and just eating that!I made the pie using leftover pork roast slices and leftover roasted veggies instead of those mentioned in the ingredients and leftover mashed potatoes thinned with milk instead of gravey. This meant I did no cooking prep for the pie. I also cut the sugar in half. Turned out very nice and yummy."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer