- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 to 7 medium unpeeled plums, thinly sliced
- 5 to 6 medium unpeeled Golden Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and extracts until blended. Beat mixture on hight speed for 3 minutes. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Spread the batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Arrange plum and apple slices over batter.
- For streusel, combine the flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in pecans. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. For glaze, whisk confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over streusel. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Apple Plum Streusel Dessert
"I thought it was a bit dry. Next time, I think I will not bake it as long, I'll try about 35 minutes. But otherwise it was excellent. It was a hit at work"
"I thought this turned out great! I made it in a bit bigger pan, so it was thinner, more like bars, but very good. Next time I'll try it with just plums!"
"I am an avid baker, and I found this dessert to be rather dry, and bland. The fruit was had a nice taste (but then again, fruit usually does when baked), but that is all I can really say that was good about this recipe. I found that the almond extract was completely unnecessary, and probably ruined the taste for me. I make a "mean" Apfelkuchen, and this recipe falls short."
"Batter worried me in the beginning because it was so light. Don't panic. Held up the fruit. I did use a mandillion slicer which was extremely helpful in making paper thin fruit slices."