Apple Pineapple Salad Recipe
"I came up with the recipe for this fun fruit salad several years ago," shares Jessie Craven of Odessa, Missouri. "It's a refreshing change of pace for me and my husband, who's diabetic.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Drain pineapple juice into a saucepan. Add margarine and lemon juice; cook over medium heat until margarine is melted. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juice mixture. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; add sweetener. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine pineapple, apples, grapes and poppy seeds. Add the dressing; toss to coat Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, gently toss in pecans. Yield: 16 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1/2-cup serving equals 1 fruit, 1 fat; also, 105 calories, 34 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 6 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC