Apple Pineapple Salad
"I came up with the recipe for this fun fruit salad several years ago," shares Jessie Craven of Odessa, Missouri. "It's a refreshing change of pace for me and my husband, who's diabetic.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, toasted
- Drain pineapple juice into a saucepan. Add margarine and lemon juice;
- cook over medium heat until margarine is melted. In a small bowl,
- combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juice mixture.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; add
- sweetener. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. In a large
- bowl, combine pineapple, apples, grapes and poppy seeds. Add the
- dressing; toss to coat Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Just
- before serving, gently toss in pecans. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1/2-cup serving equals 1 fruit, 1 fat; also, 105 calories, 34 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 6 gm fat.