Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie
Sort By :
"Only 6 more days before my husband deploys and an apple pie was on his list of wants. I have never made an apple pie before and was scared this would be a big flop. To my surprise this is the best apple pie I have ever tasted. Glad I could make this for him. Thanks so much!"
"I made this pie for my very first Thanksgiving with the in-laws. Luckily I tried the recipe out a week before thanksgiving. I made the first pie exactly like the recipe says to. It turned out very runny, but tasty nonetheless. I then made another pie with the suggestions of other reviewers. I upped the flour to 5Tbsp and used a little more brown sugar than granulated. I was also stumped on which apples to use. So I went to my local market and grabbed 2 of each they had. I ended up with Gala, HoneyCrisp, and Sweet Tango. OMG! This pie was absolutely splendid. Thank you to everyone who submits a review so newbies like myself can bake something as easy as Apple pie."
"My very first Apple Pie and it was delicious ~"
"Wonderful. I made this w my daughter, it was simple to make and delicious to eat! Yum!"
"Awesome... Tapioca to thwart the runs... Winner! Also, NO ginger. Don't like!"