- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie
Sort By :
"This is my go to apple pie recipe. So easy and so delicious. Love it!"
"I wish there was a higher rating then five stars. This was my. First homemade apple pie and it came out the best I've had in my life and that's not just because I made it haha. There were a few different changes I made and that is 1. I used the homemade pie crust recipe off of crisco container. 2. I skipped the egg white and made a melted butter with sugar and cinnamon to brush on before baking. I know it's not the healthier choice but it added some great flavor to the crust. 3. I substituted the flour for tapioca because my grandmothers secret is it adds a little extra sweetness and flavor. Also I forgot to set the timer and didn't read the cover with foil part so I accidentally skipped out on that so it was uncovered for about 45 minutes. Apples weren't mushy but also not hard . Right in the middle. I used janigolds and Mitzu apples that we picked at the orchard."
"awesome pie.reminds me of home in the fall .playing outside as a kid down to my grandmothers. smelling the pie mixed with the ocean breeze. salt air .spruce trees and a homemade apple pie.cannot beat them three smells together. along with the waves crashing the beach.Ahhhhh wish i was back home in maine."
"This was the best apple pie i have ever tasted in my life. I made it exactly as written, so simple and nobody believed i made it. Thank goodness my daughter witnessed it. Thanks so much"
"excellent flavor....used Granny Smith apples..they are my favorite!!"