Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie
Sort By :
Good flavor, but very runny.
I never write reviews, but this pie was awesome! It was quick and easy to make and had the perfect combination of spices. Also, for those of you who were wondering, you'd need about 5 regular sized apples.The only thing I would change is the sugar, it was a bit too much for my family. I would cut one of the sugars in half, also I did not listen others and increase the flour, but It may have helped the runnyness. It was not runny per say but could have used a bit of extra thickener. Lastly I made this in a regular round metal cake pan with the same cooking time and it worked out great. Thanks for a lovely recipe!
*I used criscos no fail pie crust recipe
I used all granny smiths, which weighed 2.97 lbs. The spices and sugar amounts were right on, actually perfecto! Sliced apples real thin, about 1/16 inch or so. Increased flour to 5 tblsps. Consistency of cooked mixture was very nice. My supreme critic, Wifey, said she would have used a couple of Macs or Fujis, thought a couple of apple slices were a little hard - though she gobbled it down. First time for me with a two crust pie. Will add a Fuji or two in the next attempt with this wonderful recipe.Which will be soon. With ice cream maybe? Perfect on its own. I used a "1-2-3" crust recipe listed on the net. Excellent and easy pie crust recipe.
I made this for a pie auction at church and it had the room buzzing! The winning bidder told me later in the week that it was fantastic!
May I request the complete recipe for the double crust?