- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie
"The best apple pie I have ever tasted. My homemade crust was pretty good also."
"Fantastic pie. I use 1 tab. cornstarch w/ 2 tab. flour. I don 't like nutmeg so I use ALL cinnamon."
"Very good, just a bit too much nutmeg though since we don't really like it. I'll try cloves instead next time."
"Wonderful recipe. The only thing I did different was leave out all spices since I love the taste of only apples. I also laid a piece of foil over entire pie first 25 min then uncovered and finished baking 25-30 min until apples are tender when pie poked with thin knife."
"This is my go to apple pie recipe. So easy and so delicious. Love it!"