Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie
Sort By :
"My suggestion to stop runny juice...sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of instant tapioca. Put some on bottom crust, some inbetween , and finish with a little on top. When juices are bubbling thru slits in top crust, tapioca will thicken this as it cools. Delicious!"
"Was disappointed in the runniest of this pie. Had to use several paper towels to sop up runny juices. Did not read reviews before putting top crust on. Would suggest Taste of Home re-write recipe. It for sure needs more flour. On the upside has a good flavor. We used HoneyCrisp, Gala, MacIntosh and some sort of fancy apple. Just disappointed it was runny."
"Why do you add Ginger to the pie"
"Good flavor, but very runny."
"I never write reviews, but this pie was awesome! It was quick and easy to make and had the perfect combination of spices. Also, for those of you who were wondering, you'd need about 5 regular sized apples.The only thing I would change is the sugar, it was a bit too much for my family. I would cut one of the sugars in half, also I did not listen others and increase the flour, but It may have helped the runnyness. It was not runny per say but could have used a bit of extra thickener. Lastly I made this in a regular round metal cake pan with the same cooking time and it worked out great. Thanks for a lovely recipe!*I used criscos no fail pie crust recipe"