Apple Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie
Sort By :
"This recipe is fantastic. I would NOT, however, add much extra flour. I took the advice of some previous reviews and used 5 tbsp flour instead of the recommend 3 tbsp, and the pie filling was too sticky. Next time I will use 3-4 and it should be perfect :)"
"I loved this recipe! It was simple and just what I was looking for. I loved the sugar on top of the crust. I used pink lady apples. The perfect combination of sweet and tart!"
"I have found THE apple pie recipe for keeps. My husband and 29 yearold son were drooling over this pie! I used granny smith apples,4 tablespoons of flour (not one drippy run), didn't have nutmeg, butused a little pumpkin pie spice, and cardamom in addition to cinnamonand ginger. I used Trader Joe's pie dough and I'm telling you it is utterlydelicious!!"
"Only 6 more days before my husband deploys and an apple pie was on his list of wants. I have never made an apple pie before and was scared this would be a big flop. To my surprise this is the best apple pie I have ever tasted. Glad I could make this for him. Thanks so much!"
"I made this pie for my very first Thanksgiving with the in-laws. Luckily I tried the recipe out a week before thanksgiving. I made the first pie exactly like the recipe says to. It turned out very runny, but tasty nonetheless. I then made another pie with the suggestions of other reviewers. I upped the flour to 5Tbsp and used a little more brown sugar than granulated. I was also stumped on which apples to use. So I went to my local market and grabbed 2 of each they had. I ended up with Gala, HoneyCrisp, and Sweet Tango. OMG! This pie was absolutely splendid. Thank you to everyone who submits a review so newbies like myself can bake something as easy as Apple pie."