Apple Pie with a Twist Recipe
—Taste of Home Cooking School
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 7 to 9 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 7 large)
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Shape each piece into a disk about 1-in. thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
- 2. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and let stand 15-30 minutes. Meanwhile, place apples in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, apple cider, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and lemon juice. Add the butter and flour; stir until combined; set aside.
- 3. Roll out the large disk on a lightly flour surface to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Gently place a sheet of foil on top of pie. Bake for an additional 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown and the filling bubbly.
- 5. Cool on a wire rack overnight. To serve warm, heat individual slices in the microwave. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Pie with a Twist
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC