Apple Pie Sandwiches Recipe
I created this recipe one autumn when we had an abundant apple crop. We enjoy these sandwiches for breakfast and dessert all year long. —Gloria Jarrett, Loveland, Ohio
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 12 slices day-old bread
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook apples and water over medium heat for 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice.
- 2. Spread six slices of bread with 1/3 cup filling; top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining sugar.
- 3. Dip sandwiches in egg mixture. Cook on a lightly greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC