Apple Pie Jam Recipe
- 4 to 5 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples and water. Cover and cook slowly until tender. Measure 4-1/2 cups apples; return to the pan. (Save remaining apple mixture for another use or discard.)
- Stir in sugar and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Stir in spices. Carefully ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Reviews for Apple Pie Jam
Sort By :
My family thinks this is a keeper.
Hi Ceege, we have verified with a number of experts that the processing time would be the same time listed in the recipe.
susieQTee, yes, you would store it in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 weeks.
I'm extremely new to canning. I have a question that I think the info for should've been included in the instructions for us canning newbies: can anyone tell me once a jar is opened does it get stored in the fridge, and, for how long will it last once opened? Thanks ahead of time to all my other ToH reviewers :)
Question to the editor. Is it okay to make this jam in pint canning jars? If so, does the processing time need to be increased? I am fairly new at canning and don't want to do anything that would ruin the jam or waste the apples. I only have pint size jars and really do not want to purchase a lot of the 1/2 pint size. Thanks for your help.
made 7 half pints of this apple pie jam...Delicious! best apple jam I ever had. will be making more of it for the winter months. thanks for this recipe