Apple Pie Jam
Although I've been canning for years, I've never found a good apple jam recipe, so I created this one. My husband of 41 years and I love this jam so much because it tastes just like apple pie…without the crust! —Audrey Godell, Stanton, Michigan
56 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Process: 10 min.
- 4 to 5 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples and water. Cover and cook slowly
- until tender. Measure 4-1/2 cups apples; return to the pan. (Save
- remaining apple mixture for another use or discard.)
- Add sugar and butter to pan; bring to a full rolling boil, stirring
- constantly. Quickly stir in pectin; return to a full rolling boil.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Stir in spices. Carefully ladle
- hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace.
- Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10
- minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 76 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 1 mg sodium,