Apple Pie Jam Recipe
Although I've been canning for years, I've never found a good apple jam recipe, so I created this one. My husband of 41 years and I love this jam so much because it tastes just like apple pie…without the crust! —Audrey Godell, Stanton, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Process: 10 min. YIELD:56 servings
- 4 to 5 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine apples and water. Cover and cook slowly until tender. Measure 4-1/2 cups apples; return to the pan. (Save remaining apple mixture for another use or discard.)
- 2. Stir in sugar and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Stir in spices. Carefully ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 half-pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 76 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC