Apple Pie Filling Recipe
My family is always delighted to see an oven-fresh apple pie cooling on the counter. What a convenience it is to have jars of homemade pie filling on hand so I can treat them to pies year-round. —Laurie Mace, Los Osos, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:40 servings
- 18 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 cups water
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- 2. Ladle into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1-1/2 hours. Seal and freeze; store up to 12 months. Yield: 5-1/2 quarts (enough for about five 9-inch pies).
1 serving (1 each) equals 128 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC