Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- 18 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 cups water
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1-1/2 hours. Seal and freeze; store up to 12 months. Yield: 5-1/2 quarts (enough for about five 9-inch pies).
Reviews for Apple Pie Filling
Sort By :
HOW DO YOU FIX THIS AFTER YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE FREEZER
Do you think I could can this instead of freezing it?
Double the apples.
What a great way to use up your apples! Simple simple simple! After adding the apples to the Dutch oven it came very close to overflowing. I grabbed a large spatula and folded them in.
Would appreciate pie baking directions to go with this!