Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- 18 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 cups water
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1-1/2 hours. Seal and freeze; store up to 12 months. Yield: 5-1/2 quarts (enough for about five 9-inch pies).
Reviews for Apple Pie Filling
Sort By :
"This is just to answer general question about canning. If you are going to can this, and you certainly can do this, you need to use CLear Gel instead of cornstarch. Cornstarch does not "become smooth" again when reheating in the pie. You can buy Clear Gel on line. I get mine from Amazon.I prefer canning to freezing because i don't have enough freezer space."
"this is a really good recipe. i was doubting the amount of sugar , i put that amount in anyway and for that i'm glad. i did make a little goof, i had to add a little more apples, because when i measured my salt i did that over a measuring cup,i had already used for sugar and me being tired i forgot that it was salt in that cup, not sugar i missed,so i added a few more apples . it worked out just fine. i'm kinda glad for the goof,because the apples started to break down a little more than i wanted so, that left most of my apples in larger pieces. if i wouldn't have made that goof,there is nothing i would change about this recipe. thank you Laurie for posting this recipe. i will use this for years to come,it's excellent,tastes better than the can."
"It would be better not to can this as the cornstarch does not allow the filling to move around enough in the jar when you are canning to kill all the bacteria. I can apples with just as little light or medium syrup ( sugar and water) as will cover the apples. Then when I want to make a pie, I add more sugar mixed with cornstarch or flour.How to make pie with this: Use a commercial or from scratch crust. Put crust in pie pan. Add a jar of thawed filling. Moisten edges of crust, and top pie with another crust. Cut off extra crust hanging over the edge of the pan. Crimp edges of both crusts together tightly. Cut slits or designs in top crust either before or after you put it in the pie. Bake at 350 or 375 degrees until the middle of the pie looks done, about one hour. Do a search if you want more details on making pies."
"HOW DO YOU FIX THIS AFTER YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE FREEZER"
"Do you think I could can this instead of freezing it?"