- dough in half. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle
- (dough will be soft).
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients. Cook
- over medium heat until apples are softened and mixture is thickened;
- On a lightly floured surface roll out each portion of dough to
- 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. apple cookie cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Spread with 2
- teaspoons of filling to within 1/4 in. of edge. Top with another
- cutout seal edges.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
- to wire racks to cool completely. Meanwhile, in a small bowl,
- combine 3 tablespoons water and 18 drops red food coloring. In
- another small bowl, combine remaining water and 6 drops green food
- coloring. Using a pastry brush, "paint" apples red with green
- leaves. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 342 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 317 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.