Apple Pie Cookies Recipe
To sweeten the school day, send along these soft sugar cookies with a homemade apple filling from Sharon Smith of Neosho, Missouri. "The sandwich cutouts were taste-tested by my grandchildren," she affirms. "They're certified kid-pleasers!" To save time you can use purchased pie filling for the centers. Or instead of "Painting" the tops with food coloring simply sprinkle them with cinnamon.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and grated (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons water
- Red and green liquid food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide in dough in half. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle (dough will be soft).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the filling ingredients. Cook over medium heat until apples are softened and mixture is thickened; cool.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. apple cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Spread with 2 teaspoons of filling to within 1/4 in. of edge. Top with another cutout seal edges.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons water and 18 drops red food coloring. In another small bowl, combine remaining water and 6 drops green food coloring. Using a pastry brush, "paint" apples red with green leaves. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 342 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 317 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC