This moist spice cake from Sandra Castillo of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin is low in fat but full of flavor! "Apple pie filling is my secret ingredient," she writes. "For a fun variation, try it with a chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling...or yellow cake mix and peach filling."
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- Set aside 1 tablespoon cake mix. Set aside 1-1/2 cups pie filling. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, water, oil, extract and remaining cake mix and pie filling; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour half into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and reserved cake mix; sprinkle over batter. Spoon reserved pie filling over batter to within 3/4 in. of edges; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. drizzle over cooled cake. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Apple Pie Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p52
Reviews for Apple Pie Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review