Apple Pecan Coffee Cake Recipe
My family really enjoys this sweet, moist coffee cake with its crunchy cinnamon topping. On chilly winter days, a warm slice hits the spot, but it tastes just as good served cold.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and mix well. Spread half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with apples. Carefully spread remaining batter over apples.
- 2. For topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in pecans. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 381 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC