Apple-Pear Strudel Recipe
Flaky sheets of delicate phyllo encase a deliciously spiced apple and pear filling in this old-fashioned strudel.Joanie Fuson, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon peel and nutmeg. Add the apples, pears and extracts; toss to coat.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; lightly brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Layer with seven more sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer with some of the butter.
- Spoon apple mixture lengthwise over phyllo within 2 in. of a long side; fold in edges. Roll up, starting from the long side.
- Place seam side down in a parchment paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in top of strudel. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Pear Strudel in Taste of Home Baking Book 2011, p242
Reviews for Apple-Pear Strudel(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Strudel >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- German Desserts >
- German Recipes >