Apple Pear Salad
When very good friends drove a long way to visit me after I moved, I served them this wonderful salad with fruit and nuts. Needless to say, we had a great visit and lots of good food. —Cathy Seed of Summerfield, North Carolina
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium tart apples, cut into chunks
- 2 medium firm pears, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup seedless red grapes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 head Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a bowl, toss apples and pears with lemon juice. Add grapes; toss
- gently. In a another bowl, combine the water, vinegar, oil, mustard,
- sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over fruit and toss to coat. Serve in
- lettuce-lined bowls; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 117 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat.