Apples and pears are almost always popular, so this warm, comforting dessert recipe is great for potlucks or other get-togethers. I also like to add raisins or chopped nuts to the compote, and for a more adult flavor I add 1/3 cup brandy or rum.—Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 5 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium pears, chopped
- 1 medium orange, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Sweetened whipped cream and toasted chopped pecans, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until fruit is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining orange juice until smooth; gradually stir into fruit mixture. Cook, covered, on high 15-20 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. If desired, top with whipped cream and pecans. Yield: 8 cups.
Originally published as Apple-Pear Compote in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p88
Reviews for Apple-Pear Compote
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review