Apple Pandowdy Recipe
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add water and lemon juice; cook over low heat until thick. Cover and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine baking powder and remaining flour and salt. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter. Add the milk and mix just until moistened (a few lumps will remain); set aside.
- 3. Arrange apples in 9-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with cinnamon. Add nutmeg, vanilla and remaining butter to sauce; pour over apples. Drop dough by spoonfuls over sauce. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until top is brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 260 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Apple Pandowdy
"Tried this last night; turned-out great! Good recipe for an occasional cook. A strange song came to me as I was baking, something about "shoo-fly pie and apple pandowdy," 'wonder where that came from?"
"Yum! this is the Old style pandowdy just like my Mom used to make! I made it today for my Dad's birthday and it turned out Perfect! Tastes fantastic! So easy to make too!"
"This is one of the best cobblers I have tasted. The sauce you prepare on top of stove and thicken really adds a lot to this dish and the topping browns so nicely. Yum"
"Made this tonight--absolutely wonderful!!!! Thanks so much for sharing."
"My husband asked for Apple Doody like his grandmother used to make and when I found this recipe he said "Thats it!"The aroma wjile it is cooking is wonderful but when you taste it you will think it is better that any appli pie you ever had."