Apple Pandowdy Recipe
This dessert, which comes from a very old cookbook, is tangy and delicious.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add water and lemon juice; cook over low heat until thick. Cover and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine baking powder and remaining flour and salt. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter. Add the milk and mix just until moistened (a few lumps will remain); set aside.
- 3. Arrange apples in 9-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with cinnamon. Add nutmeg, vanilla and remaining butter to sauce; pour over apples. Drop dough by spoonfuls over sauce. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until top is brown and apples are tender. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 260 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC