My husband loves to wake up to a hearty breakfast. I lightened up a traditional pancake recipe I had in my files so we can enjoy the comforting flavor without all the fat and calories. —Fern Motzinger, Omaha, Nebraska
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tart apple, peeled and grated
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, sugar substitute, baking
- powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, combine the egg
- substitute, milk and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients. Fold in
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot skillet coated with cooking
- spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is
- golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (one pancake) equals 117 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.