Apple Pancakes with Cider Syrup Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (1-1/2 inches)
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Additional butter, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in apple and raisins. Combine the buttermilk, egg yolk, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- 2. Pour batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is lightly browned.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cider until smooth; add cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir nutmeg into syrup. Serve pancakes with warm syrup and additional butter if desired. Yield: 6 pancakes (2/3 cup syrup).
3 pancakes: 492 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Apple Pancakes with Cider Syrup
"Very good! I omitted the raisins, but that is a personal preference. I would make these again and would HAVE to double the recipe next time!"
"Seems like alot of work for 2 servings - Willing to try it once, hopefully it's worth it!"
"These were really good. I especially liked the syrup! I doubled the recipe, and still barely had enough for 8 pancakes that were about 6 inches in diameter. They come out thick and dense, but very good!"
"Perfect for a chilly fall morning! My family loved these!"
"I added finely chopped walnuts. Delicious!"
"A requested breakfast in the fall"
"The pancakes are wonderful. The syrup is way too sweet. Will be changing that recipe around a bit I think."
"i havent yet made this but was wondering what the sugar content is...my husband has chrons and i have to keep it healthy you know."
"Being a Weight Watcher, I wanted to keep my points down, so I didn't make the syrup. I think it was a mistake. It probably would've brought in more apple taste. Next time, I will make the syrup. W/O it, the apples were kinda so-so. It needs the apple cider in the syrup. (I also didn't seperate the egg. :-> It was OK.)"
"These were delicious! A perfect fall breakfast! I loved the syrup!!"
"Great taste and very fluffy. Syrup can be a little too sweet so I recommend putting it on the side and dipping the pancake into it. Also great with regular syrup!"
"EXCELLENT I didn't separate the egg either."
"Our family loved these pancakes. I made it once without the cider syrup, but that really helps bringing out the apple flavor, so I won't do it without that again."
"Very, very good! The apply cider syrup really makes them taste great! My kids really loved them too."
"Oh My!these were the best tasting pancakes ever. Incredilble tasting cider syrup tp go with thanks!!!!"
"I'm lazy and didn't want to separate the egg, so I didn't. They still turned out fine when I just added the whole egg when I was supposed to add the yolk."