Apple Orange Bread Recipe
I love to take advantage of the wonderful citrus fruits form our state. These lovely loaves have a refreshing orange zip. I make them for our church's Christmas bazaar bake sale, and they don't last long! -Norma Poole, Auburndale, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:48 servings
- 2 large tart apples, quartered
- 1 large unpeeled orange, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a blender or food processor, process apples, orange and raisins until finely chopped; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in fruit mixture and nuts.
- 3. Pour into three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 138 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC