Apple Nut Muffins Recipe
I added bran to a favorite apple muffin recipe I had to make it more nutritious. We enjoy these warmed for a quick breakfast.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran (Miller's Bran)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 baking apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a mixing, combine the first five ingredients; mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes. Combine flour, sugars, baking powder and salt; add to the bran mixture. Stir well (the batter will be lumpy). Fold in apple and nuts. Spoon into 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until muffins test done. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 258 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC