- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a large bowl, combine the apples and sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and almond extract. Add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir into apple mixture just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the sugar, flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Serve with warm cake. Yield: 9 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Apple Nut Cake with Rum Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p229
Reviews for Apple Nut Cake with Rum Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 24, 2010
"This is a staple dessert at Thanksgiving for my family. It comes out great in a bundt pan or as cupcakes. The family always asks for some to take home."