"APPLES WERE plentiful in our area, so they were the staple of many of the desserts served at our table. This apple recipe was one of my mom's favorites. Today, it reigns supreme in our family as the choice dessert. Warm or cold, it's a treat every time!"
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture (batter will be very thick). Stir in the apples, nuts.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with just a few crumbs. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apple Cake in Reminisce January/February 1993, p47
Reviews for Apple Nut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review