Apple Meringue Pie Recipe
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk sugar, flour, milk, egg yolks and lemon peel until smooth. Pour over apples and toss to coat.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate and flute edges. Pour filling into crust; dot with butter. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 4. In a bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 324 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Apple Meringue Pie
"i found it to be a lil too sweet for my liking but will know for next time to reduce sugar... but all in all a good easy recipe to follow"
"I omitted the cinnamon and add crushed peppermint candy to the meringue. It disappeared at the country club I worked at."
"I agree that cinnamon and nutmeg should be added to the apples to give them the proper apple pie flavor. In response to the question about the meringue.....The meringue should ALWAYS to put on piping-hot filling and NEVER on cold filling. The hot filing begins cooking the meringue. The heat carried by the filling begins to cook the base of the meringue slightly, and makes it less prone to shrinking or "weeping"."
"I just tried this recipe, couple things wrong... 1.) What's apple pie without cinnamon? I added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to this.That improved the flavor. 2.) When you add the meringue to the "hot" filling, said filling melts and looses the custard like texture. Shouldn't the meringue be added after filling cools, like normal pies with meringue? Anybody have ideas to solve the second issue?"