Apple Meringue Pie Recipe
I received this recipe from my mother-in-law, and it's one of my husband's favorites. It's a nice variation on traditional apple pie.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:6-8 servings
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk sugar, flour, milk, egg yolks and lemon peel until smooth. Pour over apples and toss to coat.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate and flute edges. Pour filling into crust; dot with butter. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 4. In a bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 324 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC