“This is a little twist on the great meatloaf my mom made when I was a kid,” says Deborah Williams of Peoria, Arizona. “The apple gives it a bit of a sweet flavor and helps keep it moist.”
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground allspice
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the apple, bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and allspice. Stir in onion. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 6-in. x 5-in. loaf.
- Place in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Apple Meat Loaf in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p10
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Apple Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review