Apple Meat Loaf
“This is a little twist on the great meatloaf my mom made when I was a kid,” says Deborah Williams of Peoria, Arizona. “The apple gives it a bit of a sweet flavor and helps keep it moist.”
3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 4 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground allspice
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large
- bowl, combine the apple, bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, mustard, salt,
- pepper and allspice. Stir in onion. Crumble beef over mixture and
- mix well. Shape into a 6-in. x 5-in. loaf.
- Place in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until no pink remains
- and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 259 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 663 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.