Apple Mashed Potatoes
I love potatoes…especially mashed. When I came up with this combination, it was declared a winner. I serve this as a side dish when I have pork as an entree, but it's great with any meat. —Rebecca Page, Pensacola, Florida
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place the potatoes, apples and salt in a large saucepan; add enough
- water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 12 minutes or
- until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon
- drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and apples. Add the butter, vinegar and sugar;
- mash until smooth. Top with bacon, onion and nutmeg. Yield: 4-6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 260 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.