Apple Lettuce Salad
Apples and lettuce pair up in this colorful and crunchy salad that you can make ahead for a gathering. The sweet and tangy vinaigrette dressing coats the apple nicely and keeps them from turning brown.
-Marlene Muckenhirn, Delano, Minnesota
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 medium red apple, chopped
- 1 medium green apple, chopped
- 6 cups torn green leaf lettuce
- 6 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- In a large salad bowl, whisk the first 10 ingredients until blended.
- Add apples; toss to coat. Place lettuce over apple mixture (do not
- toss). Refrigerate; toss just before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 50 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.