Apple Kuchen Bars Recipe
Apple Kuchen Bars Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bar equals 240 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Apple Kuchen Bars
Sort By :
"Wonderful! I used a pastry blender instead of a food processor. Huge hit with the entire family"
"DebbieEastham - I haven't made this particular recipe, but I would recommend using a pastry blender - it sounds pretty much like making pie crust. Combine flour and salt, cut in butter with a pastry blender until it is in chunks the size of small peas, then add ice water a Tbsp at a time, just until you have moist crumbs. Should work just fine."
"To garc9926. Recipe calls for 3c. Flour 1 1/2 c. Of butter. 2 c. Flour & 1 c. Of butter are used for bottom crust . The remaining 1 c. Flour & 1/2 c. Of butter are for the top"
"When I pull up this recipe it does not list ingredients so when it says to place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor I don't know how much to use. Can someone list those amounts please?"
"I was wondering how to make this without a food processor?"
"Sounds amazing, would definitely add some toasted walnuts.!!"
"I made this over the weekend and made it exactly as written. Is it possible to give a recipe six stars? Delicious!"
"I make this all the time as I have a yellow delicious apple tree and also a Gala apple tree,Instead of using all white sugar,I use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 brown sugar and also add about 1/2 cup of Karo syrup to mine. it is delicious."
"This sounds like an easy and delicious dessert. One thing I would substitute is brown sugar for white. I find that with apples, brown sugar adds a delicious twist. A little nutmeg wouldn't hurt either. I can't wait to try!"
"I love Granny Smith or braburn apples for cooking Apple treats. This looks delicious and I will definitely try!"
"Really yummy, but too sweet. Maybe less sugar in the topping would help."
"I omitted the bottom crust & added approx 1/2 cup of oats & pecans to the top crumble & it was fantastic!!"
"What type of apple do you recommend?"
"I really thought at first that this would be on the bland side and nothing to rave about. But after seeing how easy it was to make and how simply delicious the end result was...I'm impressive."
"What kind of apples did you feel worked best."
"This is a recipe my grandmother used nearly 100 years ago...without the processor, and I have made through 60 years of marriage. It is wonderful. The kind of apple used makes a huge difference."
"This is delicious!! Just like the recipe I use, Could you pass along Mom's ice cream recipe? : ))"
"I just made this. It was so easy and delicious. I may never make just apple pie again."
"my Dad's favorite dessert! He is a huge fan!"
"These are absolutely delicious ! So easy to make! Love it."
"This are so simple to make. The taste is fantastic. Love them!"