- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forApple Kuchen Bars
"Wonderful! Used a pastry blender by hand to mix. easy to cut recipe in half and make in a 8x8 or 7x10 pan."
"I found this recipe easy to follow and make. Had some of my family over at the weekend and it was very well received by everyone. Definitely a recipe I will be making often."
"Wonderful! I used a pastry blender instead of a food processor. Huge hit with the entire family"
"DebbieEastham - I haven't made this particular recipe, but I would recommend using a pastry blender - it sounds pretty much like making pie crust. Combine flour and salt, cut in butter with a pastry blender until it is in chunks the size of small peas, then add ice water a Tbsp at a time, just until you have moist crumbs. Should work just fine."
"To garc9926. Recipe calls for 3c. Flour 1 1/2 c. Of butter. 2 c. Flour & 1 c. Of butter are used for bottom crust . The remaining 1 c. Flour & 1/2 c. Of butter are for the top"
"When I pull up this recipe it does not list ingredients so when it says to place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor I don't know how much to use. Can someone list those amounts please?"
"I was wondering how to make this without a food processor?"
"Sounds amazing, would definitely add some toasted walnuts.!!"