- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Apple Kuchen Bars
"Wonderful! I used a pastry blender instead of a food processor. Huge hit with the entire family"
"DebbieEastham - I haven't made this particular recipe, but I would recommend using a pastry blender - it sounds pretty much like making pie crust. Combine flour and salt, cut in butter with a pastry blender until it is in chunks the size of small peas, then add ice water a Tbsp at a time, just until you have moist crumbs. Should work just fine."
"To garc9926. Recipe calls for 3c. Flour 1 1/2 c. Of butter. 2 c. Flour & 1 c. Of butter are used for bottom crust . The remaining 1 c. Flour & 1/2 c. Of butter are for the top"
"When I pull up this recipe it does not list ingredients so when it says to place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor I don't know how much to use. Can someone list those amounts please?"
"I was wondering how to make this without a food processor?"