- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Apple Kuchen Bars
Sort By :
"People stop posting if you haven't made the recipe. If you haven't made it how can you suggest changes?"
"Sounds amazing, would definitely add some toasted walnuts.!!"
"I made this over the weekend and made it exactly as written. Is it possible to give a recipe six stars? Delicious!"
"I make this all the time as I have a yellow delicious apple tree and also a Gala apple tree,Instead of using all white sugar,I use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 brown sugar and also add about 1/2 cup of Karo syrup to mine. it is delicious."
"This sounds like an easy and delicious dessert. One thing I would substitute is brown sugar for white. I find that with apples, brown sugar adds a delicious twist. A little nutmeg wouldn't hurt either. I can't wait to try!"