- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, divided
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 8 medium)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 2 cups flour and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add 1 cup butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough ice water to form moist crumbs. Press mixture onto bottom a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon over crust. Place remaining flour, butter and sugar in food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples. Bake 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Apple Kuchen Bars
Sort By :
"Sounds amazing, would definitely add some toasted walnuts.!!"
"I made this over the weekend and made it exactly as written. Is it possible to give a recipe six stars? Delicious!"
"I make this all the time as I have a yellow delicious apple tree and also a Gala apple tree,Instead of using all white sugar,I use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 brown sugar and also add about 1/2 cup of Karo syrup to mine. it is delicious."
"This sounds like an easy and delicious dessert. One thing I would substitute is brown sugar for white. I find that with apples, brown sugar adds a delicious twist. A little nutmeg wouldn't hurt either. I can't wait to try!"
"I love Granny Smith or braburn apples for cooking Apple treats. This looks delicious and I will definitely try!"