This simple-to-fix recipe came out of an old Swedish cookbook that my mom always held together with a large rubber band. The recipe is my favorite!
- 6 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Arrange apples in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1 tablespoon. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over apples.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining sugar; beat in the milk and butter until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls over apples; sprinkle with reserved cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Serve with warm kuchen. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Kuchen in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p90
Reviews for Apple Kuchen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review