Apple Kolaches Recipe
A fellow home economist shared this recipe for a sweet, fruit-filled pastry. My son, who isn’t a dessert fan, was disappointed when he came home to find his dad had polished off the last kolache in the batch.—Ann Johnson, Evansville, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. Divide dough into two portions; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine apples and cinnamon. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 15x9-in. rectangle; cut into 3-in. squares. Place a teaspoonful of apple mixture in center of each square. Overlap two opposite corners of dough over filling; pinch tightly to seal.
- 3. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and apple mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm kolaches. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 kolache equals 129 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC