Apple Jelly Candy
Soft and fruity, these old-fashioned squares get a bit of crunch from chopped walnuts. Rolling the candy in sugar gives it a pretty look for the holidays. —Helen Orestad, Powderville, Montana
77 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Superfine, confectioners' and/or granulated sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, applesauce and gelatins; let
- stand for 1 minute. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Boil for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in
- walnuts and vanilla.
- Immediately pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight. Cut into 1-in. pieces; roll in superfine,
- confectioners' and/or granulated sugar. Store in an airtight
- container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 32 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.