Apple Jack Crumb Pie Recipe
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup grated aged jack cheese
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine raisins and brandy; cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper. Add the apples, lemon juice and raisin mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to pastry.
- 3. Combine flour and sugar in a food processor. Add butter; cover and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add cheese and almonds; pulse just until combined. Sprinkle over filling.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece (calculated without ice cream): 456 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Apple Jack Crumb Pie
"a wonderful pie. the bran dy adds just a hint of flavor that i really liked"