Apple Harvest Squares Recipe
This recipe is more than 75 years old. Mom made it often, since it was Dad's favorite. We have so many wonderful apple orchards in Rhode Island, and I really enjoy taking my grandsons out to pick our own.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, salt and 1/3 cup sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs; press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Arrange the apple slices on top of crumbs; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine 1/3 cup sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining sugar with the rest of the ingredients. Spoon over baked apples; bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares while still warm. Yield: about 20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 195 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Apple Harvest Squares
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC