Tender apple slices and subtle flavors make this old-fashioned cake one of our favorites.
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Whipped cream and additional cinnamon, optional
- In a large bowl, beat 2 cups sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in apples.
- Spread half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Carefully spread remaining batter over the top.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Apple Harvest Cake in Country August/September 2007, p45
Reviews for Apple Harvest Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review